Kerry -v- Monaghan Match Report

Kerry go one step closer to their ultimate goal of promotion defeating Monaghan in a nail biting shootout encounter

By Niamh Daly

12th June 2021

Kerry 1-18

Monaghan 2-14

It was an action packed first half in Mountbellew Moylough GAA pitch. Both teams added to the scoreboard in the opening two minutes with a beautiful point from Kerry’s full forward Hannah O’Donoghue. Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh turned over the ball in the 2nd minute, converting a free to lead by 1 point. Another turn over by Cáit Lynch saw the wing back drive forward with the ball resulting in another free, kicked over by Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh. Anna Galvin sent in a perfectly placed ball to Julie O Sullivan in the 12th minute where the full back was dragged down with a high tackle by Monaghan’s Eimear Fraynor resulting in a yellow card for the wing back. A pumped up Kerry side reaped the rewards of the pressure they put on Monaghan’s short kick outs in the 14th minute with Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh winning the ball and finding Hannah O’Donoghue on the edge of the square who was dragged down to create a penalty for The Kingdom. Monaghan’s Edel Corrigan went to the right of the goal in the direction of Ní Mhuircheartaigh’s boot saving the ball and pushing it up onto the cross bar. Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh rebounded the ball and hit the cross bar for a second time in a superb passage of play before it was cleared by the Monaghan side. What could have been two points resulted in 1 point with another free by Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh making it a 2 point game for Kerry. Kerry created a lot of turn over’s and held most of the possession in the first half but Monaghan managed to go in front in the 28th minute with a well taken point by the captain. Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh leveled the game before the half time whistle leaving the sides 5-5 apiece.

In the second half Monaghan won the throw in but were quickly stopped in their tracks by a superb block by Kerry’s captain Aishlinn Desmond which was picked up by Julie O’Sullivan and cleared by Loraine Scanlon. Their efforts to push the ball forward for a scoring chance were met with a number of missed opportunities that were kicked wide. Nothing separated the sides until the 10th minute with a point finally coming from play by Niamh Carmody. Some great fielding by Lorraine Scanlon saw the ball reach the forward line before returning to the hands of Loraine Scanlon who drove the ball into the back of the net to find Kerry 4 points ahead at the water break. Monaghan awaited their first score of the second half until the 16th minute with Ciara McAnespie scoring a goal to make it a 1 point game. Two minutes later a point from a free leveled the sides. Monaghan continued to score with two more points coming from the experienced Cora Courtney leaving Kerry trailing by 2. Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh put one between them after converting a free with 4 minutes to go. Deep into injury time a heart stopping last kick of the game saw Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh soar the ball into the air and land into the hands of Niamh Ní Chonchúir. She passed it off to Louise Galvin only to receive it back before settling herself to go for the shot. The ball went up and felt like it was in the air for a good minute before it landed between the posts and the roar from the Kerry spectators echoed a sigh of relief as Shane Curley the referee blew the final whistle to leave the score 1-8 to 1-8.

With the game having to be decided on the day it went to extra time. It was toe to toe and score for score but Kerry lead by 2 points at half time leaving the score 1-11 to 1-9. Monaghan brought it back to a 1 point game at the start of the second half. Moments later Ellen McCarron put her side ahead by 2 after she fired the ball passed Ciara Butler in the 2nd minute. Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh responded by kicking 2 frees but Monaghan got another point from a free to lead by 1. Tensions were high with both teams being tit for tat with one another seeing Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh leveling the sides with another free but again Monaghan responded with another point from a free. With one minute to go and one last opportunity Kerry’s Niamh Ní Chonchúir passed off the ball to Anna Galvin who was rewarded a free that saw Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh bring the sides to a shoot out after the full time whistle left the sides Kerry 1-14 Monaghan 2-11.

After 2 wides from Monaghan and 1 wide from Kerry, Niamh Ní Chonchúir kicked the first point of the shootout. Monaghan followed suit as the tension started to build but another 2 points from Lorraine Scanlon and Niamh Carmody settled Kerry’s nerves. Monaghan scored another two points before Kerry’s Danielle O’ Leary stepped up to score Kerry’s winning point to see them secure their place in the Lidl National League Div 2 Final against Meath in Croke Park on Saturday, June 26. Full time score Kerry 1-18 to Monaghan 2-14.

Credit to both sides for the intensity they brought to a fantastic game of football.


KERRY: Ciara Butler, Julie O’Sullivan, Aislinn Desmond (C), Ciara Murphy, Aishling O’Connell, Kayleigh Cronin, Cáit Lynch, Lorraine Scanlon 1-1, , Niamh Carmody 0-1, Anna Galvin, Emma Dineen, Louise Galvin 0-1, Andrea Murphy, Hannah O’Donoghue 0-2, Louise Ní Mhuireachtaigh 0-9(0-7f) Subs: Niamh Ní Chonchúir 0-2 for A Murphy, Ella Teehan for A Galvin, Mary O’Connell for N Carmody, Danielle O’Leary 0-1 for E Dineen, Ciara O’Brien for C Murphy, Niamh Carmody 0-1 for K Cronin

MONAGHAN: Edel Corrigan, Meave Monaghan, Nicola Fahy, Aoife McAnespie, Eimear Traynor, Abbey McCarey, Shauna Coyle, Amanada Finnegan, Muireann Atkinson, Laura McEneaney 0-1, Ellen McCarron (C) 1-5 (0-2f), Lauren Garland, Casey Treanor, Ciara McAnespie 1-1, Cora Courtney 0-5(0-4f) Subs: Jodie McQuillan 0-1 for A Finnegan, Amy Garland for E Traynor, Rosemary Courtney 0-1 for S Coyle

REFEREE: Shane Curley (Galway)