Kerry make it two wins out of two

Kerry 2-11

Waterford 2-5


Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh scored 1-4 off the bench to inspire Kerry to a six points victory over a dogged Waterford outfit at Fitzgerald Stadium in the second round of the Lidl National Football League Division 1.

Ní Mhuircheartaigh entered proceedings in the 47th minute when Kerry were a point ahead but the Footballer of the Year then took with a fine performance that included a beautiful lobbed goal in the 64th minute.

Waterford, playing into the wind and rain in the opening half, got off to a whirlwind start after 45 seconds when Kellyann Hogan scored a fortuitous goal as her tame shot slipped through the hands of an unsighted Kerry netminder Mary Ellen Bolger.

Bríd McMaugh followed with a point on five minutes and as Waterford continued to boss the opening exchanges a free from Hogan fell short for Mairead O’Brien to punch to the net .

That put Waterford 2-1 to 0-0 after 10 minutes before Kerry finally got moving.

Their comeback started when Niamh Carmody pointed her first of four frees in the half following a foul on Jadyn Lucey, and Lucey hit the back of the net soccer style in the 14th minute after being put through by Carmody.

Carmody added another free and then Emma Dineen put over when she might have goaled and suddenly Kerry were just a single point behind, 1-3 to 2-1, with eight minutes left in the first half.

Waterford needed a lifeline of their own and they got it when Aine O’Neill drove through for a good score but two Niamh Carmody frees saw the sides go in level at half time, 1-5 to 2-2.

Half time substitute Danielle O’Leary gave Kerry the lead for the first time in the game four minutes into the second half and followed up three minutes later with another beautiful score.

Alannah McNulty got one back for the visitors and the Kerry goal was living dangerously but Mairead O’Brien’s effort was ruled out for a throw ball.

Ní Mhuircheartaigh then entered the game and popped over a free and by the 59th minute the sides were level at 1-11 to 2-5 apiece.

Then came Ní Mhuircheartaigh’s goal after she was fed by Danielle O’Leary and Kerry were able to see out the remainder of the game.

Scorers – Kerry: L Ní Mhuircheartaigh 1-4 (0-3f), J Lucey 1-0, Niamh Carmody 0-4 (4f), D O’Leary (0-2), E Dineen 0-1.

Waterford: M O’Brien 1-1,K A Hogan 1-0, B McMaugh 0-1, Aine O’Neill 0-1, A McNulty 0-1, K Murray 0-1(f),

KERRY: M E Bolger; C O’Brien, D Kearney, A Dillane; E O’Connor, K Cronin, C Murphy; A Harrington, L Scanlon; K.A. Hanrahan, N Ní Chonchúir, N Carmody (capt.); K Brosnan, E Dineen, J Lucey. Subs: A Galvin for K A Hanrahan, H O’Donoghue for N Ní Chonchúir (both 24), A O’Connell for E O’Connor, D O’Leary for K Brosnan (both H/T), C lynch for A Harrington (40), L Ní Mhuircheartaigh for J Lucey, E Lynch for A Dillane (both 47), C McCarthy for C Murphy (47,) K O’Sullivan for E Dineen (63).J Gill for N Carmody (65).

WATERFORD: E O’Brien; H Power, E Power, A Murray; O Kennedy, A McNulty, A O’Neill; E Murray, K Hogan (capt.); K McGrath, C Carroll, M O’Brien; B McMaugh, K Murray, L McGregor. Subs:A Brazil for C Carroll (44),L O’Shea for KA Hogan (50), N Power for L McGregor (65).

Referee: Shane Curley (Galway).